News | Superfast Broadband Coming To Hampshire | Andover & VillagesHampshire County Council has invested £1 million in to a scheme to help more difficult-to-reach communities benefit from superfast broadband.

The Community Match Funding scheme applies to locations which will not be covered by the Hampshire Superfast Broadband programme*, which is already on track to provide 97.4% of the county with superfast broadband access by 2019. The County Council will provide up to half of the funding to match money raised by communities, to help connect the remaining 2.6% of communities in areas which are generally harder and more expensive to reach.

Leader of Hampshire County Council, Councillor Roy Perry, said: “Good broadband access is fundamental – people rely on the internet everyday, whether it’s for banking and shopping, or learning and working from home. Not only is it vital for the economy of Hampshire, it is also an effective way of delivering modern and accessible public services. This money will allow more people to benefit from what is rapidly becoming an essential service.”

Mr Kneller is part of a group of 17 properties in Silchester, near Tadley – the first community to be taking part in the scheme. Mr Kneller said: “Superfast broadband will make a big difference to us. I’d like to work from home sometimes, and at the moment that just isn’t possible. My family would also like to be able to stream films and use catch-up services, and do things like book holidays online. Ultimately it’s what most people now take for granted.”

The Community Match Funding scheme has been developed in conjunction with BT’s Community Fibre Partnership. It follows a wider roll-out of superfast broadband services across Hampshire, which so far has involved upgrading connections to more than 87,000 properties. The Hampshire Superfast Broadband programme is due to increase coverage across the county from 80% (areas already covered, commercially) to 97.4% by the end of 2019 – well in excess of Government targets.

By 2019, Hampshire County Council will have invested £12.9 million in to the programme – with £16.4 million from the Department for Culture, Media and Sport, and £1.25 million from district councils.

Steve Haines, managing director for Openreach, said: “It is great to be able to work with Hampshire County Council and communities like Silchester to find a fibre broadband solution. Openreach is committed to making fibre broadband as widely available as possible for households and businesses. The technology really does have the ability to transform the way people interact online.”

Polly has almost 20 years in the media industry. As Editor of Andover and Villages, she strives to bring the latest and greatest news with a minutes notice. Polly can be contacted via or alternatively called at