Reduce Children’s Sugar Intake with Change4LifeThis January, Hampshire County Council is supporting Change4Life’s campaign to help parents reduce the amount of sugar their children eat and drink.

It’s surprising how much sugar there is in the food and drink we give our children throughout the day and many people have no idea how much sugar they and their family really consume. Change4Life’s Sugar Swap campaign aims to reduce our sugar intake with examples of how we can make simple changes, or swaps, to food and drink, at key occasions in the day. This includes picking sugar-free or no-added-sugar drinks, getting the kids involved with shopping for lower sugar snacks or having ‘me sized’ puddings after a meal.

No more than 10% of a person’s daily calorie intake should be made up of sugar, but we know that consumption of sugar across all age groups is above the recommended amount.

Excess sugar leads to excess calories and a build-up of fat in the body, and increases our risk of developing dangerous conditions including cancer, heart disease and type 2 diabetes. In Hampshire, there are still one in five children entering school who are overweight or obese and by the age of ten-11 years this rises to almost one in three.

Councillor Liz Fairhurst, Executive Member for Adult Social Care and Public Health, said: “We wouldn’t let our children eat sugar straight from the sugar bowl. But we tend not to think about sugar in the other things they eat and drink. Making small changes, such as swapping from sugary cereals to plain porridge, plain wholewheat or plain shredded wholegrain, will help to reduce our daily consumption of sugar. To join in, all you need to do is sign up with Change4Life and pick one easy swap.”

Search Change4Life online to find out more about the campaign as well as receive practical, easy to implement hints, tips, advice and recipes to try with your family.

Polly has almost 20 years in the media industry. As Editor of Andover and Villages, she strives to bring the latest and greatest news with a minutes notice. Polly can be contacted via or alternatively called at