Hampshire Police have recently had reported several theft from motor vehicle occurrences.
The majority of thefts are happening from vans as they are most likely to be carrying expensive tools and equipment.
Therefore, if you own a van please be cautious. The main method of entry being used is by forcing the locks at the rear of the van, however, incidents have been reported where offender(s) have smashed a small window located at the front of the van and then reached in to unlock the door.
Please read the advice below regarding theft from vehicles:
• Park your vehicle in a secure area (in a garage or behind locked gates, if possible).
• If you can’t, park in a well-lit street in easy view of your own or neighbours’ houses.
• Where possible, remove valuable items from the vehicle overnight and store them in a secure place.
• Do not leave tools or equipment on view inside the vehicle.
• Consider fitting an appropriate alarm system, protecting the cabin and load areas.
• Apply a security marking product to power tools and equipment (further details available on request). Alternatively, etch or emboss identifiable marks to these items.
• Consider installing secure storage containers or lockers in the van to store tools in.
• Ensure that the van doors are securely lockable and consider having suitable deadlocks installed.
• Make sure to physically check that the van doors and windows are locked if you have used the remote to lock the vehicle, even if the feedback indicates the van as locked.
• When visiting businesses, try to park close to the entrance and preferably in the view of CCTV
• Log your property for free at www.immobilise.com
Please remain vigilant. If you see anything suspicious please call 101 and if you think a crime in in progress please call 999.
If you would like any further crime prevention advice please visit: https://www.hampshire.police.uk/advice/