The Tri-Force Roads Policing Unit carried out an all day check on the A303 on 2nd September 2015, focusing on the ‘fatal 4’ (mobiles, speeders, seatbelts and drink and drug driving).
– Seven officers from the unit carried out static checks on the A303 and in total dealt with 11 speeders at 92mph or above.
– Five motorists will be receiving a notice of intended prosecution in the post for excess speed.
– Four speeders were reported at the roadside for speeding as they were over the fixed penalty ticket threshold – these were 100, 102, 108 and one motorbike at 118mph.
– One mobile phone offence was detected.
– Three HGV tachograph offences resulted in £900 worth of fines.
Sergeant Rich Hatch said: “This was a successful operation and highlights the dangerous speeds that some motorists were driving at along the A303.
“Our high visibility patrol of the road resulted in a positive response from the community and has provided reassurance after the recent fatalities and community concerns. We will be carrying out similar checks in the future.”