Serious Injuries Prompt Stark Electrical Safety Warnings this Christmas

A 15-year-old girl was left in intensive care following a fire started by an unattended iron in Southampton this week, leading to stark electrical safety warnings ahead of Christmas.

The girl collapsed in her bathroom from smoke inhalation after a fire caused by an iron being left turned on an unattended. The girl had to be rescued from the burning flat with firefighters carrying her out of the property before she was rushed to hospital by the ambulance service.

Pictures taken by fire investigators showed the unrecognisable, molten remains of the iron, after it overheated and caught fire.

Southampton Group Manager Howard Watts said: ‘We believe the fire was started by an iron being left on. Fortunately, a neighbour heard the smoke alarm and dialled 999.

“We are urging the public to make sure they switch off any electrical items when they’re not being used. This is particularly important at this time of year, as people will have Christmas lights and other electrical items that could cause a fire if they are left unattended and not switched off.

“Take time this Christmas to test your smoke alarm too, as without it the situation here could have been a lot more tragic.”

The 15 year old girl is still in hospital and in a stable condition.

Polly has almost 20 years in the media industry. As Editor of Andover and Villages, she strives to bring the latest and greatest news with a minutes notice. Polly can be contacted via or alternatively called at