Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service, in partnership with the National Society of Master Thatchers, is inviting members of the public to attend free thatch fire safety presentations over the next couple of months.
Nationally every year, between 70 and 100 thatched properties will experience a serious fire. In the Andover and Villages area alone there are hundreds of thatched properties.
Station Manager Glenn Bowyer of the Community Safety team said: “The majority of thatch fires are chimney related, and are most often associated with the installation and use of modern multi fuel appliances. Others less likely causes include, faulty electrical wiring running through the thatch roof, bonfires being lit too close to the property, and the burning of unseasoned wood and other materials causing stray sparks to be emitted from the chimney and then igniting the thatch.”
The presentations look into the major causes, management and control of fires in thatch properties.
Flooding was also a subject covered in the presentations after the area was badly hit earlier in the year by the most terrible flooding seen for years. Residents are encouraged to have their own ‘Flood Action Plan’.
Share or comment on this article below..
If you are reading this article from the Andover & Villages app – click ‘view original post’ for lots more pictures…
Thank you to Paul Scicluna for the pictures