The government has announced the law will come into force in October 2015. The alarms must be installed on every floor of the property and be tested ahead of any new tenancy, with the carbon monoxide alarms placed in each room which is deemed ‘high risk’, such as where there is a gas fire or boiler.

The government says the move will help prevent dozens of deaths and over 1,300 injuries each year. Group Manager Prevention of the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service, Justin Harden, said: “Working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms save lives. For example you are four times more likely to die in a fire in a property that does not have working smoke detectors, which demonstrates just how important they are.”

Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service Group Manager Community Safety, Ty Whitlock, added “Although most private landlords do already have smoke and carbon monoxide alarms installed, this announcement by the government will ensure every property will have them in future. We would therefore urge landlords to check their properties and ensure they have the necessary smoke and carbon monoxide detection on every floor of their properties.”

Members of the public living in private rented accommodation are also advised to consider their home safety, further home safety information and advice can be found on both the Hampshire and Isle of Wight websites. Alternatively you can get in touch with your local Community Safety and Business Safety teams.

Information about home and business fire safety can be found through the relevant fire service website, Hampshire Fire and Rescue Service http://www.hantsfire.gov.uk/ and the Isle of Wight Fire and Rescue Service can be found at www.iwight.com/fire.

Polly has almost 20 years in the media industry. As Editor of Andover and Villages, she strives to bring the latest and greatest news with a minutes notice. Polly can be contacted via editor@andoverandvillages.co.uk or alternatively called at