The NHS has taken steps to remove a false Twitter account which spread “misleading” Andover coronavirus updates.
A spoof account for Andover Hospital was created earlier in the year, on 28th February 2020, it advised the town to “lockdown” in the midst of an influx of patients exhibiting COVID-19 symptoms causing concern and distress amongst the public.
The NHS has said the account has been shut down.
The NHS is now ensuring their accounts are marked properly on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.
The counterfeit account urged Andover to “lockdown.” The NHS said it did not track the “AndoverHospital” user, who falsely warned about “coronavirus symptoms in an influx of patients.”
Sir Simon Stevens, NHS’s Chief executive, reported that the NHS has already fought against fake news about coronavirus from making false Twitter accounts to thinking about fraudulent therapies advertised by homoeopaths on-line, adding that the NHS has been working to check more than 800 official NHS accounts through social media platforms or blue ticks.
On Monday, the government announced the creation of a specialist team to fight coronavirus outbreak misinformation.
“Today’s steps are an important step forward in allowing public access to reliable and accurate health information,” said Health Secretary Matt Hancock.