Don’t let opportunist thieves ruin your enjoyment of Hampshire’s beauty spots
Police and local councils want motorists to enjoy the beauty spots of northern Hampshire without opportunist thieves ruining their visit.
Historically we see a rise in thefts from beauty spot car parks during the spring and summer months when more people are out and about enjoying the countryside.
Reduce your chances of becoming a victim of car crime by removing all valuables from your vehicle when leaving it unoccupied.
Many people know the risk of leaving valuables on display in their cars but do not consider the risk of hiding these items in boots, under seats or in glove boxes.
Most offences of theft from vehicle are opportunist. If valuable possessions such as handbags, sat navs, mobile phones and cameras are left inside a vehicle, it is much more likely to be targeted by thieves.
Hopefully we will see some beautiful weather across northern Hampshire this summer and our message to motorists is, when leaving your car, close all windows, lock your doors and remove all valuable items. Unfortunately a lot of people put their valuables in the boot or in foot wells and even though they are out of sight, they are by no means safe.
- When leaving your car, close all windows and lock your car.
- Don’t leave anything on display in your vehicle.
- Take all your personal possessions with you.
- Remove sat nav holders and visible sat nav ring marks from windscreens.
- Leave the glove box open to show there’s nothing inside.
- Fit an alarm or immobiliser to your car.