Don’t let Jack Frost cast a shadow over your Christmas is the warning in a video launched this week as part of the Government’s Get Ready for Winter campaign.
The video, which is made with shadow puppets, is a cold weather take on the popular ‘Night Before Christmas’ poem and warns of the misery which frozen and burst water pipes can cause householders during the festive season.
It is being promoted by the Met Office and WaterSafe, the online register for approved plumbing businesses in the UK.
Julie Spinks, of WaterSafe, said: “As the film says `when the plumbing was ‘laid bare to the cold winter breeze, Jack Frost came a lurking and the pipes started to freeze’.
“We want everyone to have a safe, warm and fun Christmas this year, so are urging householders to wrap up their homes as well as their gifts to avoid the expense of emergency plumber call outs, the inconvenience of no water and the expense of mopping up floods.”
Top tips for a stress-free festive season include:
• Lag pipes and water tanks – available from your local DIY store
• Fix dripping taps
• Find your home’s stop tap and make sure you can turn it off
• Leave the heating on low if you go away
• Check your central heating boiler has been serviced
• Keep the name of a plumber handy – type in your postcode at watersafe.org.uk to find your nearest accredited plumbing business or call 0333 207 9030.
The short film, which can be viewed at watersafe.org.uk/winter advises: “Take care of your pipes, fix leaking taps too, or winter’s cruel blight, could be coming for you.”
For regular weather updates and more advice on ‘Getting Ready for Winter’ visit metoffice.gov.uk.